Murray Senior Recreation Center
The Murray Senior Recreation Center is a recreation center for adults age 55+. The Center offers recreation and leisure-time activities, social services, nutritious meals, and educational, instructional and cultural programs for the general health and well-being of senior adults. There is no membership fee, but some activities have charges to offset the cost. A complete schedule of activities and fees is located in the monthly newsletter.
The Center is funded and operated by Murray City. Operations of the Center are directed by the Center Director, Director of Parks and Recreation, and the Murray City Administration, with the Murray City Council responsible for establishing policy.
Update May 29, 2020:
1. Beginning on Monday, June 1, we will expanded our lunch repertoire to include fresh grilled hamburgers or bratwursts as a daily alternative to our sandwich or wrap box lunch. Yes, you read that right … we will now offer our box lunches on Mondays. The time is still 11:30-12:30 and the cost is still $4. You need to call the day before to request your meal and pay for it.
2. We will not be offering our annual Family Concert series in June. Stay tuned for information regarding the July concert.
Update May 22, 2020:
1. The scheduled toenail clippings for June has been cancelled. We will post information here on our website once we have a confirmed date for Dr. Scott Shelton to return to our Center for toenail clippings.
Update May 14, 2020:
1. Our planned shredding day has been rescheduled for Friday, September 18, 2020 at 10:00 am until 1:00 pm. We are not having a shredding day on Friday, June 19.
2. Virtual Personal Trainer: You may have participated with the University of Utah students through personal training or their overall fitness class; they will be coming again this summer through a virtual class. The only requirement for your participation is access to the internet, a personal computer, and a video-based communication platform (Face Time or Zoom, for example). Participants will be required to virtually meet with their students twice a week for a total of 10 weeks. Meeting times will be arranged by the student and the participant.
The University of Utah will be supplying you with an exercise equipment kit which will include two dumbbells (3 or 5 pounds), a resistance band, and a 55-cc stability ball. This summer program will start mid- to late-May. This equipment is a gift to you for your participation in this program. If you are interested in participating, please contact Moe at 801-284-4240.
3. We have decided to offer the wrap option for our sack lunches Tuesday-Friday. Bratwurst is still available as an option for Wednesdays only. Call the Front Desk at 801-264-2635 to order your lunch.
Update May 7, 2020:
1. We are still offering sack lunches on Tuesday-Friday. We are adding an additional option .... on Tuesdays or Thursdays, you may request a wrap or a sandwich and on Wednesdays you may request a freshly grilled bratwurst or a sandwich. The cost remains $4 and includes chips, pickle, fruit cup, and cookie.
2. We are pleased to announce ... 55+ CAR BINGO every Wednesday beginning May 13 at 9:00 until 10:30. There will be reserved parking for the first 20 cars ... call 801-264-2635 to reserve your spot today. Maximum two people per car (should live in the same household). We are providing the bingo cards and prizes (four games will be played). Please bring a marker, pen or pencil to mark your bingo card and a mask to wear while interacting with our staff from your car. When you arrive, check-in with the parking lot attendant and they will direct you to your reserved parking spot. We are only allowing those that have preregistered via telephone for the car bingo.
The Center is still closed so there is no restroom access and we ask that everyone remain in their cars. Murray City has an ordinance against car engines idling - cars cannot be running while we play bingo so plan accordingly and don't forget your water.
3. For golf tournaments, The Ridge has been rescheduled for October 5.
Update April 8, 2020:
1. Center activities, classes, and trips for April and May have been cancelled until further notice. We will continue to offer sack lunches on Tuesday-Friday.
2. Golf Season: We have opened registration for the 2020 Murray Senior Recreation Center Golf League and are now taking registrations by telephone (801-264-2635), Monday-Friday, 8:00-4:30. Cost is $10 per player.
Tournament Status: Meadowbrook was scheduled for April 27 has been postponed to June 22; Eaglewood was scheduled for May 4 has been postponed to August 17. The Ridge for May 18 and Murray Parkway for June 1 are TBA.
Wayne will keep everyone informed as to the status of the tournaments. Keep your heads up (keep them down for your golf swing)!
3. We are still having our walking club (no group walks until social distancing is resolved). Cost is $12 and includes a monthly calendar, pedometer, and a t-shirt. Call for details and to sign-up.
Regarding registrations that begin March 23-27:
1. The watercolor and art appreciation final sessions that were scheduled to begin on April 13 have been cancelled. Once the Center re-opens, John and Joan Fackrell will finish teaching their sessions that began on March 2nd.
2. The toenail clipping planned for April 23 has been cancelled. Our next toenail clipping is planned for June.
3. Correction ... Tuacahn has delayed their season opening due to COVID-19. We will be unable to have our trip as originally scheduled for June. We are rescheduling our Tuacahn trip for September 28-October 1. The plays we will be seeing are Disney's Beauty and the Beast and The Count of Monte Cristo. Registration will begin in July. We will not take registrations until then.
4. The General Golf Meeting, scheduled for Monday, April 6 has been cancelled. Information and schedules will be sent to all golfers who participated in last year’s league. As of now, we are scheduled to play our first tournament on Monday, April 27. Call 801-264-2635 for any details.
**SACK LUNCHES TUESDAY-FRIDAY**
Beginning Wednesday, March 18, 2020 the Murray Senior Recreation Center will be serving sack lunches for those 55+ on Tuesday through Friday. The sack lunch will include a sandwich (choice of white or wheat bread and a choice of ham, turkey, or roast beef), bag of chips, pickle, fruit cup, and cookie. The cost is $4.
Please call us at 801-264-2635 between 8:00-4:00 the day prior to order your sack lunch. Payment can be made over the phone with your credit/debit card or EXACT change the day of pick-up. We will not have money available to make change.
We need prior notification so the kitchen can adequately prepare your order. As the Center is still closed, the sack lunches will be delivered to your car in front of our building (north entrance) between 11:30-12:30.
We plan to continue this program until the COVID-19 restrictions are lifted.
The Murray Senior Recreation Center will be closed as of Friday, March 13, 2020 until further notice due to coronavirus concerns.
We will continue to keep everyone updated as we receive information. Thanks and please be safe!!
Tricia CookeDirectorPhone: 801-284-4237
Murray Senior Recreation Center
10 E 6150 S
Murray, UT 84107
Phone: (801) 264-2635Fax: (801) 284-4233
Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
8:00 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Saturday through Sunday