FLIP YOUR STRIP PROGRAM
Program Overview: This program is meant to increase curb appeal, reduce and conserve water also to get money back when you participate in the Murray City Flip Your Strip Campaign. Receive $1.50 per square ft. if you are eligible and follow requirements.
For a printable version of this list: Flip-Your-Strip Information (PDF)
General Eligibility Requirements:
- Park strips must be currently landscaped with living, well-maintained lawn. If lawn has been killed or removed prior to a pre-conversion site visit, you are not eligible for this program.
- Applicant must be current on all Murray utility bills.
- Applicants must be a residential customer of Murray City Water.
- Projects should remove all lawn from park strip and replace it with water efficient landscaping.
- Projects that replace lawn with artificial turf are not eligible.
- Rebate checks are made to the property owner only.
- Perennial plants must cover at least 40% of the converted park strip at maturity. Trees will not be considered in density calculations.
- Plants may not exceed 24 inches in height at maturity. Taller plants block views for safety and can interfere with city maintenance.
- Completed projects must cover 3-4 inches of gravel, bark or compost mulch. Ground cover plants can qualify as mulch if 100% plant density is achieved at maturity.
- If landscape fabric is used it must be permeable to water and air.
- Concrete areas do not qualify for a square foot rebate, but pavers, bricks, stone and other permeable materials are permitted.
- All plants must not be planted within 3’ of any water meter to allow for city maintenance.
- Completed park strips must be irrigated with low-volume drip systems. Drip systems must include filter and pressure regulator visible for inspection.
- Drip emitters must be rated at 5 gallons per hour or less.
- Bubblers, micro-spray emitters and soaker hoses are not allowed.
How to Apply:
- Review the eligibility requirements to ensure your project qualifies for a rebate.
- Begin your application. You will be asked to provide photos of your project site and an estimated conversion area in square feet.
- Request a pre-conversion site visit, remember killing or removing your lawn prior to a site visit will make your park strip ineligible for a rebate.
- Complete park strip conversion.
- Request a post-conversion site visit
- There is a maximum of $350.00 rebate per property with current owners.
FLIP YOUR STRIP PROGRAM
Frequently Asked Questions:
- 1. Can I apply if I have already started my project?
- No, you must have living lawn in your park strip at the time of the pre-conversion visit. If you have already killed or removed your lawn you will be denied.
- 2. What if my park strip is just full of weeds and the lawn is dead?
- Your park strip needs to have living lawn to be eligible.
- 3. I live in an H.O.A., can I still apply?
- Yes, but you must clear project with your H.O.A.
- 4. I am renting, can I apply for rebate?
- If you are renting or leasing, you must have the property owner apply for the rebate and be present for pre-conversion visit. Rebate checks are issued to the property owner only.
- 5. If I have an existing tree in my park strip, does it need to be removed?
- No, we do not promote the removal of trees from landscapes unless they are causing problems with concrete walks. Trees must be watered with the installed drip irrigation system following conversion.
- 6. I am installing landscape for my new home, can I apply?
- No, this program is only for existing landscapes with grass park strips.
- 7. Are multi-family residences eligible for this program?
- No, this program is intended for single-family residences only.
- 8. Can I remove my lawn and just replace it with bark, gravel or hardscape?
- No, this program requires plant and drip irrigation to be installed. This rule is in place to follow local city ordinances.
- 9. How long do I have to complete my project?
- You have 3 months after your application to complete your park strip project.