Created in 1997, the Murray Historic Registry includes local homes, businesses, and districts at least 50 years old, which have maintained their historic character or have significant historic value. They have been nominated and reviewed by the Historic Preservation Board and designated to the Murray Historic Registry. The owner may choose not to be placed on the Registry.
Each historic site receives a special ranking of A (has been well preserved) or B (has had some changes). These designations may be changed higher or lower or removed from the Registry depending on what kinds of changes are made to the home.
The registry is a non-regulatory ordinance (City Code 2.40.020) that requires communication between the owner and the Cultural Arts Division prior to changes in the footprint or original building materials. After communication is complete, the owner may proceed with regular requirements of the City.
Some buildings or districts have been given special designations at the local level or included on the National Registry of Historic Sites. These may be included on our local registry, but have unique characteristics and requirements may differ.
National Register of Historic Places
The National Register does not impose restrictions. Its purpose is to provide recognition and to encourage preservation. Owners of contributing buildings are eligible for potential funding for approved rehabilitation projects; however, local municipalities may impose restrictions on these buildings.
Buildings in Murray listed on the National Register include:
- Individual Buildings
- Admundsen Home (307 E Winchester)
- Bradford (Jane & Rawsel) Home (570 E 4800 S)
- Cahoon Mansion (4872 S Poplar St)
- Erekson Artillo Dairy Farmhouse
- Hobbs (Edward & Irene) Home
- Huetter (Hennie) Home
- Iris Theater & Apartments
- James Miller Home (4929 S Lake Pines Dr)
- Murray Power Plant (157 W 4800 S)
- Murray Second Ward (5056 S Commerce Dr)
- Murray Theater (4961 S State St)
- Rowan (Matthre & Joanna) Home
- Smith (Ray & Ethel) Home
- Taylor (Thomas & Margaret) Home
- Walton (Wesley & Frances) Home
- Warenski-Duvall Building
- Wheeler Farm (6343 S 900 S)
- Historic Downtown Residential District
- Includes 185 historic structures that extend from Center St. to Atwood and Glen Street and from 4800 S to Vine Street with a small extension on Vine Street to 451 E Vine.
- 13 of the 185 buildings were researched in more detail to illustrate the architectural history of the residential area between 1870 and 1950.
- Murray Downtown Historic District
- Includes 29 historic structures
- The District is comprised of mostly the business sector along State Street and the east side of Poplar Street, which includes a few residential buildings
- Hillside Historic District
- Includes 284 historic structures in the neighborhood between 5300 South and 5600 South, including 235 East on the west side, and Kenwood Drive on the east.