Community & Economic Development Department
The Murray City Public Services Building is open to the public with social distancing precautions in place. We are encouraging business to be conducted through our website, via email, over the phone, or by appointment. We are also continuing contactless document exchange and business transactions through the drop box located at our front entrance.
For more information or to schedule an appointment:
Planning & Zoning / Code Enforcement
Economic Development / Other
COVID-19 Business Relief Resources
Murray City has partnered with Salt Lake County to administer CARES Act funds and to serve as a conduit for information and resources for businesses, community stakeholders, and residents suffering hardship during this time.
The link below will take you to a letter from the Murray Economic Development Director, Melinda Greenwood, outlining the resources available from county and state governments to help your business.
Salt Lake County COVID-19 Small Business Impact Grant
June 11, 2020
We’re excited to share details with you today about the Salt Lake County COVID-19 Small Business Impact Grant. Applications will open beginning Tuesday, June 16. Eligible applicants who are approved can receive up to $35,000. With these CARES Act funds, the County expects to help at least 1,000 businesses that have struggled to secure aid thus far during COVID-19.
Click on the link below for a press release from Salt Lake County explaining details of the program:
The Community and Economic Development Department is charged with overseeing the orderly growth and development of Murray City and to enhance the welfare of the citizens in the community by providing planning and economic development efforts, which contribute to the enhancement of prosperity and bettering our community. The following are the core functions of the Department.
- Business Licensing - Processes all business license applications for the City and coordinates with all departments for review in this process
- Interact with and serve customers - Provide information and assistance to all of our customers with dignity and respect, and to provide this in a timely manner
- Current Planning - Create, manage, and implement the zoning, subdivision, and other manuals or protocols relevant to better implement the City’s General Plan; Site Plan Review and development review; solicit and manage public dialog
- Long-Range Planning - Create and manage the General Plan for the City, including the update of appropriate implementation ordinances; Provide other long-range planning efforts that will contribute to the orderly growth and development of the community
- Code Enforcement - Work to ensure that all uses and development in the community adheres to Municipal Code
- Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Programs - Management of the City’s CDBG funding and all other relevant documents and corollary actions relevant to making City and sub-recipient programs funded by CDBG dollars compliant with federal regulations and successful implementation
- Special Projects as Assigned - By the Mayor and Murray City Council
- Interact with and serve customers - Provide information and assistance to all of our customers with dignity and respect and to provide this in a timely manner
- Economic Development - Promote and assist in community job creation, job retention, investment formation, prosperity enhancement, and quality of life protection and promotion
- Redevelopment - In conjunction with the Redevelopment Agency of Murray City, facilitate timely and appropriate redevelopment projects in the community.
- Other services - Provide other services including research and planning, business attraction, business retention, City coordination regarding business issues, and provide demographic information for the community
The Department provides staff support for the following: